One of the prettiest Christmas markets in Germany opens on 24th November 2020, with probably about 250 stands in the historic Leipzig old town. The visitor attraction: the largest freestanding advent calendar in the world. The Christmas market is open until 23 December 2020. Visit Leipzig in the festive season and secure your room in…Details
The Hotel am Bayrischen Platz is the ideal starting point for visitors to Leipzig. Whether you’re here for a city tour, Leipzig shopping, a trade fair or a restful holiday, by staying with us you’re already near your destination. You can reach the old city centre, with many attractive sights, in about 10 minutes on foot. Alternatively, a five-minute trip on the S-Bahn will bring you to the Nikolai Kirche in the centre. The S-Bahn will also bring you to the main station in 8 minutes and to the zoo in 10 minutes. The Messe Leipzig (the trade fair centre) is about 20 minutes away by S-Bahn.
With a history of almost 850 years, the Leipziger Messe is one of the oldest fair and exhibition sites in the world. Today the Messe boasts modern architecture. A particular annual attraction is the Leipzig Book Fair, held every March. Rooms in Leipzig are hard to come by during the fair. You should therefore reserve the accommodation you need in good time.
There is a wide range of food and drink available close to our centrally located hotel. Ask us – we’ll be happy to give you up-to-date information that fits in with your day’s plans. Our recommendations:
- One of our neighbours in the Bayrischer Platz is the popular “Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof” – a restaurant and purveyor of the local beer, with a big beer garden. Here you can try out the renowned Leipzig beer, ‘Gose’, along with many others.
- Also try “Coffe Baum” – the oldest café in Europe, with a restaurant attached. Here you can find out more about ‘Kaffeesachsen’, a sometimes humorous reference to the abiding popularity of coffee in Saxony.
- As for “Auerbachs Keller” in the Mädler-Passage, this was a feature of Leipzig gastronomy back in Goethe’s time. The cellar features two restaurants and a bar.
City centre sights
Get to know the centre of Leipzig. We’ve put together a few tips for you. Do ask us about cultural events during your visit – we’ll be happy to help you.
- The university city of Leipzig presents itself to visitors as a literary, musical and cultural metropolis in the state of Saxony.
- The Leipzig trade fair centre is also renowned both nationally and internationally.
- A particular experience for the whole family is the Leipzig Zoo, well known for its successful animal welfare concept and for its Gondwanaland tropical experience world.
- The Alte Rathaus, the market place and Auerbachs Keller in the Mädlerpassage.
- Nikolai Kirche – Leipzig’s oldest church, with Romanesque, late Gothic and Baroque elements.
- Thomaskirche – with its monument to Johann Sebastian Bach; the famous Thomanerchor choir sings here every Friday and Saturday.
- Monument to the Battle of the Nations – with its 100-metre viewing terrace.
- Leipzig Opera House – situated on the Augustusplatz, directly opposite the Leipziger Gewandhaus.
- Deutsche Bücherei – the largest library in the German-speaking world.
- The University of Leipzig and the Botanic garden.
- Bahnhofs-Promenade in the restored main railway station (Hauptbahnhof): A shopping experience with over 140 boutiques, cafés and shops (open every day until 10:00pm).
- Tips for cabaret performances und cinema.
Attractions Outside Leipzig
Here is a selection of places of interest in our surrounding area:
Events in Leipzig
From 29.05.-01.06.2020 the music and culture festival Wave-Gotik-Treffen will take place in Leipzig. The Wave-Gotik-Treffen (WGT) takes place annually since 1992 on Whitsun weekend in Leipzig and is – in addition to the held in Hildesheim M’era Luna Festival – one of the largest events of the alternative and gothic scene. With an overnight stay…Details
The Leipzig Book Fair will run from 12 to 15 March 2020 – and it will be placed for the 527th time. Come and discover new worlds of ideas and enjoy the excitement of this major literary event. A night and breakfast at the Hotel am Bayrischen Platz will give your day at the fair…Details
Right in the first Bundesliga year RB Leipzig won the runner-up in the Bundesliga. The refreshing, offensive playing style and the many young, fresh talents enthused football fans from all over Germany. Also in the season 2017/2018 you can look forward to the home games of the “Roten Bullen“. Experience top soccer live – at…Details